Rheumatism in children is an inflammation of the joints of the child leading to injury. This is not a common occurrence, so parents should pay special attention to timely treatment to avoid affecting the health of children later.
What is rheumatism in children?
Usually, when it comes to rheumatism , many people think of the disease as occurring only in people entering their 30s and the older they get, the greater the incidence of the disease. However, this condition can occur in children, if parents do not find it early, it can cause children to have many health problems.
Rheumatism in children often appears in children aged 5-16 years. The disease is caused by a form of immune disorder, the healthy cartilage and bone tissue cells are affected and damaged by the body’s own immune system.
According to a survey in Vietnam, the proportion of children suffering from this disease accounts for 3 to 5%, although this is quite a rare number, parents need to supplement their knowledge to promptly deliver. showing abnormal symptoms of the child for timely treatment.
The cause of rheumatism in children
Parents need to find out the reasons to prevent rheumatism in young children such as:
- Genetic: Children with complete and weak bone structure are more likely to get rheumatism. Or in a child’s DNA system there is a malfunctioning gene that we don’t know and this cause only manifests itself as the child grows up.
- Due to the weather: The child’s body is weak and the immune system is weak, so it is easy to be affected by external influences. Therefore, when the weather changes suddenly, the bones and joints will suffer the negative effects and easily cause rheumatism.
- Due to the diet: If children do not get enough nutrients, their bodies will become stunted, their resistance will be weak and their joints and joints will be delayed. The weak condition will make children very vulnerable to rheumatism if given the opportunity to invade and cause disease.
- Due to complications from other pathologies: If the child has previously suffered from diseases of the ear, nose and throat, typhus, viral fever, etc., these conditions will be a favorable condition for streptococcus group hemolysis. A invades and attacks the body causing disease.
Symptoms of rheumatism in children
The following will be common symptoms in children with rheumatism parents should pay attention to:
1. Certificate of dance
This symptom is related to the central nervous system and children with rheumatism will often encounter, this condition accounts for 12-20%. Dance will appear as:
- Children will have more awkward movements as usual pawn or fail, hands trembling whenever holding a pen to write.
- Children are becoming more and more silly, learning status becomes worse and worse.
Until the disease progresses to a full-fledged level, the child will have symptoms such as: nervousness, anxiety, or panic, making very difficult manual dexterous movements, writing awkward words, walking staggering, difficult speech and muscle strength.
If the disease progresses to a more severe level, the child will often perform hand-waving movements, strokes, etc. The symptoms of dancing often make the child feel tired, lasting for weeks and even years. causing children to encounter many inconveniences.
2. Lumpy nodules
This symptom will manifest as: Under the skin often appear small, hard and mobile particles that do not cause pain.
These nodules often appear in places where there are protruding bones or thin skin areas such as wrists, elbows, feet, ankles, occipital occipital areas, pelvis, spine, etc.
Typically, these nodules appear only for a few days or weeks and then go away but also make the patient feel a lot of pain.
This condition can occur in one or more joints. This symptom will make the joints ache, children feel tired and no longer hyperactive as before. Currently, 93% of pediatric patients suffer from rheumatism in the acute stage.
This type of arthritis usually appears 1-2 weeks after sore throats, swallowing painful food, fever, tonsils are enlarged and red, …
Symptoms of arthritis will usually manifest from mild to severe, often inflamed joints will be large joints such as shoulder joints, knee joints, elbows, wrists, ankles, etc. effusion inside.
The child’s body may experience symptoms such as: Pink spots, with round edges often appear on the chest and extremities. Although this symptom does not cause itching, it will leave many sequelae. This is a typical skin symptom in children with rheumatism and accounts for about 15%.
Is rheumatism in children dangerous?
Parents need to pay more attention and attention to their children, if they detect that their bodies appear to have the above typical symptoms, they need to be quickly taken to medical facilities for medical examination so that treatment can be carried out promptly. and avoid leaving dangerous complications affecting the health and life of children in the future.
However, if this situation progresses without early recovery, the disease will cause dangerous complications such as:
- Children will be reduced motor skills.
- Increased risk of lung disease.
- Increased risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Vascular inflammation.
- Damage to the eyes, heart, lungs and other internal organs.
Treatment of rheumatism for children
To make sure the child has rheumatism, parents need to take the child to the nearest health facility soon to be diagnosed by a specialist by conducting tests to identify the disease and make a sketch. Suitable treatment map.
1. Treatment by Western medicine method
Based on the severity of the condition, the doctor will evaluate and recommend the following treatment plan:
- Use of drugs: For children with mild rheumatism, the doctor will order the use of drugs such as NSAIDs, DMARDs, Steroids, anti-immunity drugs, … to reduce pain and prevent disease developed.
- Dialysis: Through modern equipment, the doctor will order the patient to conduct dialysis to remove antibodies that cause osteoarthritis pain to be able to alleviate the symptoms of the disease.
- Replacement surgery: In severe cases, where the joints have been devastated so much and to prevent the disabled children from affecting the future in the future, doctors will order surgeries instead. Joints help recreate the function of joints.
2. Treatment with physical therapy
Although a child’s bones and joints are still immature, the level of recovery and regeneration will be faster than adults. Therefore, the physiotherapy exercises with the guidance of a doctor will help the child to improve the pain of the disease and restore motor skills.
In cases where it is necessary, the doctor may instruct the implementation of techniques on the body of the child to help reduce pain further. At the same time, besides these exercises, parents should encourage children to play moderate activity sports such as cycling, swimming, …
Prevention of rheumatism in children
In the process of treating rheumatism for children, parents should pay attention to the following issues to prevent recurrence such as:
- Need to keep the body warm for children, especially at the time of season or climate change erratically. Because this will be a favorable environment for the symptoms of rheumatism to arise.
- Regularly mobilize and exercise your baby to help keep the musculoskeletal system strong and shorten recovery time.
- Avoid putting children on weight, as this will expose the injured bones to great pressure and be more easily damaged.
- Add foods that are good for your child’s health such as: Vegetables, fish, whole grains, seafood, mushrooms, milk, etc. Avoid giving foods that can stimulate an inflammatory reaction like food eat fast food, snack, refined grain, processed food, …
- For children to practice the habit of drinking plenty of water, when the body provides enough water, it will help create joint fluid, lubricate joint joints. Then your baby will feel less pain and easier to move joints.
- Teach children how to properly clean their bodies, especially in the eye area, because the eyes are very vulnerable to rheumatism.
- Give your child the medicine on time and take breaks as needed to help the child’s health quickly recover.
- Need to encourage and help children have a spirit of optimism. Love life to add spirit to help children can cope with disease. Do not yell or yell, your baby’s spirit becomes downhill and worse.
Although the rate of children with rheumatism is not high, parents are not so subjective and not alert. The prevention of rheumatism in children is essential to help children avoid persistent pain caused by the disease. At the same time, it is necessary to take the child to the hospital actively to be diagnosed by the doctor and devise an appropriate treatment plan.